• Call (317) 342-4798
    Heating & Air Conditioning Service

Posted 06/30/2019 in Category 1

Carbon Monoxide: Potential Danger In Your Home

Carbon Monoxide: Potential Danger In Your Home

According to statistics, at least 430 people die in the United States every year due to accidental CO poisoning. Around 50,000 people go to the emergency room every year in the country due to the same reason. There are steps you can take to protect yourself and your family from carbon monoxide poisoning. If you have a detector, changing the batteries every six months is highly recommended; If you do not have a detector already, buy one soon.

Carbon monoxide is a by-product of gas furnaces, portable generators, stoves, lanterns and gas stoves, or the burning of coal or wood. The carbon monoxide that results from these sources tends to accumulate in closed or semi-enclosed spaces, and cause harm without the people in the room knowing it. It is named the “silent killer,” and for all the right reasons.

These poisonings are totally preventable. We at Comfy Climate have taken the time out to help you protect yourself and your family by learning about the symptoms of CO poisoning and what you can do about it.

TIPS TO PREVENT CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING

  • Never start the engine of a vehicle parked in an enclosed or partially enclosed space, such as a garage.
  • Never operate a generator, pressure washer, or gasoline engine inside a basement, garage, or other closed structure even if the doors or windows are open unless an HVAC maintenance service has installed a functional ventilation system. Keeping your ducts and air vents free of debris is very important. The debris can clog the ventilation lines causing the accumulation of this deadly gas in your home.
  • Never operate a motor vehicle, generator, pressure washer, or gasoline engine within 20 feet of a window, open door or exhaust outlet where exhaust gases can penetrate an enclosed area.
  • Never use a charcoal or hibachi grill, flashlight or portable stove (used for camping) inside your house.

CO poisoning is preventable. Acting sensibly in case of a power outage and learning about the symptoms of CO poisoning is important to protect yourself and your family. And of course, by ensuring proper HVAC maintenance at your home so that the poisonous gas does not accumulate inside your home.

CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING

What is the problem?

Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that causes sudden sickness and become fatal. It is produced by vehicles, stoves, small gasoline engines, lanterns, coal, burning wood, and heating systems. If the gas accumulates in a room or an enclosed space, it can wreak serious havoc.

What are the symptoms of poising from carbon monoxide?

An individual will display a number of symptoms in the case of carbon monoxide poisoning. The most common of these symptoms include headaches, weakness, dizziness, nausea, severe chest pain, and vomiting. If a high quantity of carbon monoxide is inhaled, it can cause fainting and in the most unfortunate events, death. Unless the cause is known, it is difficult to diagnose carbon monoxide poisoning as its symptoms are similar to those of other diseases. If we stay in a room filled with carbon monoxide for too long, it is very likely that the gas chokes us out without anyone even knowing it.

Who is at risk?

Anyone exposed to CO for longer periods is at risk of becoming poisoned. However, some are more susceptible to it than others, including newborns, children people suffering from chronic anemia, heart diseases, or respiratory issues are more prone to the negative effect of carbon monoxide. Statistics show that at least 500 people in the United States die due to involuntary CO poisoning.

Can it be prevented?

Yes, you can prevent carbon monoxide poisoning if you take some simple precautions to make sure that:

  • All household appliances that consume fuel are properly installed, maintained, and operated;
  • Have a competent HVAC repair and maintenance service take care of your furnaces, gas dryers, and water heaters.
  • Household fireplaces and their ducts are inspected and cleaned every year;
  • Heaters that consume fuel with no vents are used only when there is a person awake to watch them and the doors or windows of the room are open for fresh air;
  • Automobile exhaust systems are regularly inspected for defects, and automobile exhaust pipes are regularly inspected for snow blockages during the winters.

Knowing these things is essential to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. In most cases of involuntary poisoning, victims did not realize that carbon monoxide was being accumulated in the air they were breathing.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) works around the clock to protect the people of the United States against threats to health and safety. Whether the diseases originate in the United States or in other countries, whether they are chronic or acute, curable or preventable, whether they are the result of human error or an intentional attack, the CDC fights against diseases, and supports communities and groups around the country and encourages citizens to do the same.

Comfy Climate plays its part and protects the people from health hazard in its own capacity. Being an experienced HVAC repair and maintenance service, we try to educate the people through communicating with them with posts such as these. We understand the importance of spreading carbon monoxide awareness to stop this silent killer from going on the killing spree that it goes every year, particularly during the winters.

Send a Message


Join Our Newsletter